Welcome new and returning students to the 2012-2013 academic year here in Daytona Beach! The Career Services Office is excited to see what you will accomplish this year…where you will go on your internship, what job you will get after graduation, what new career insights you will learn and what new connections you will gain.
While we know that you will accomplish plenty, here are a few reminders to help you through the next few semesters.
- Ask: you will, and everyone does, have questions and need some support during school; ask your questions and ask for help whenever you need it; don’t forget that many questions are just a Google search away
- Connect with others: it is important to find and build connections with people once on campus; find peers and on-campus support systems to help you through the college experience
- De-stress: everyone needs to have ways in which you can soothe the stress away in your life; exercise, flying, hobbies, laughter, sports and writing (and many, many more) are all great stress relievers
- Get involved: college is a great time to participate in things for which you have great passion and that stretch your comfortable boundaries; join clubs and organizations, participate in both academic and fun events and (shameless plug) attend career-related company information sessions and presentations.
- Manage your time: keep track of deadlines, due dates, important events and more using a time management system that works for you; a calendar can serve that purpose, whether it is your phone/tablet calendar or a good old fashioned paper version (by the way, pencil in the Industry/Career Expo on Wednesday, October 10 from 9 am to 4 pm in the ICI Center)
- Stay organized: from assignments to bills to your living space, you need to find a system that can help you relax knowing you can find anything you may need
- Take breaks: whether it is a quick coffee break or a day to relax, give yourself time to decompress and have fun