By Brian Carhide
The Daytona Beach Career Services Office is looking forward to assisting you in achieving your 2014 career development goals. Remember, it is never too early to begin working with our office on your career goals. This semester will be busy, with many companies already scheduled to visit the DB campus looking to recruit top talent. This semester’s premier event will be Career Week 360°, March 3-7…remember to mark your calendars! Please stay abreast of all our spring events by keeping up with our marketing via ERAU Connection, EagleHire, Bb, Facebook, and weekly emails.
In the meantime, here are a few tips to get started:
- Check out the EagleHire Network calendar for events, including presentations and company information sessions, being hosted on the residential campuses
- Periodically check the EagleHire Network for full-time and co-op/internship opportunities, paying close attention to the closing dates of the postings; the earlier you review and apply to the positions, the better off you will be
- During the spring semester, most companies recruit their summer internship positions; ensure you are eligible to participate in the Co-op/Internship Program and search for co-op/internship opportunities via the EagleHire Network by following the instructions for your campus
- Residential campus students, schedule an appointment with your Program Manager to discuss your future career plans and co-op/internship or full-time opportunities
- Within the EagleHire Network, you have access to CareerShift; CareerShift allows job seekers to search for companies within their geographical preferences, identify positions of interest from various job boards and company websites, find contact information for employers and organize your job search
- Within the EagleHire Network, you have access to Career Spots; Career Spots allows viewing of 2-3 minute videos on topics to enhance your job seeking skills; videos on interviewing tips, job searching, internships, interview dress, and salary negotiation, to name a few, are available
- Within the EagleHire Network, you have access to Going Global; Going Global is an excellent resource for students seeking opportunities abroad and for international students who want to learn which companies have historically provided visa sponsorships
- Within the EagleHire Network, you have access to Perfect Interview; Perfect Interview creates a compelling and realistic “simulated interview” experience where you are asked challenging questions and must respond, just as you would in a real job interview
- The Going Places blog will continue to showcase Embry-Riddle’s wonderful students and alumni and their advice, and we will bring you even more articles to help in your career development
Brian Carhide has more than 20 years of professional aviation experience. He spent many years as a professional pilot, including experience as a charter and airline pilot. He has been a leader in guiding young aviators in higher education at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and is the Executive Director of Career Services.