The first ever Career Week 360° was a success! On Monday, we had a full house in the Last Minute Showcase Prep workshop as students finalized their approaches for the Employer Showcase. On Tuesday and Wednesday, there were 36 companies exhibiting at the Employer Showcase, where students and alumni had the opportunity to talk to these great organizations. Bombardier and Orbital Sciences Corporation wowed students on Tuesday night with informative presentations. CEO David Storch from AAR Corp. spoke to several business classes on Wednesday and inspired us all. The Networking Skill Builder Reception, held on Wednesday, was a wonderful event where 12 employer guests guided students and alumni through the networking process, and then everyone had the chance to put our new knowledge into practice during a reception (thanks to the Office of Alumni Relations). The FAA Deputy Assistant Administrator of the NextGen program, Pamela Whitley, spoke to students on Thursday and gave valuable insight into career opportunities within NextGen. We finished the week with a Take Action & Follow Up presentation where students had the chance to write thank you notes and ask for feedback. Thank you to everyone who participated in all of the events!
All posts tagged Career Week 360°
Posted by eraucso on March 7, 2014
Daytona Beach students, as part of your planning for Career Week 360°, please review some of these tips for success. Also listed is the schedule of events along with the list of companies that will be attending the Employer Showcase.
Showcase Preparation Tips:
- Research the companies attending; have questions prepared that can help you gather information from the recruiters
- Prepare and practice your introduction or elevator speech
- Relate your background and experiences to the company’s needs; know how you can fit into the organization
- Apply for opportunities on EagleHire Network or at the company website before the event
- Bring your Eagle Card ID
- Bring copies of your resume
- Leave your cover letter at home; companies do not expect a letter at this type of event
- Tailor your resume to the companies you want to approach; for anyone with multiple career interests, focus each resume on one area
- Wear conservative, professional attire; a suit is the best thing to wear; also check out the Career Services Pinterest boards for ideas
- Know that company representatives might be from any department/functional area; if they do not have information about your area of study, ask general company questions and insight into how to succeed
Employer Advice from Previous Events:
- Study interview questions prior to coming [to the event] and research our company. Have a few goals/positions that you are interested in, even if it’s not currently being offered. It shows you have focus and a plan in mind for your future. Also, write a bit about your interests outside of work/school – we are looking to hire people and want to get to know you
- Students should be prepared to respond clearly about their career aspirations/objectives and must be in a position to validate how they will apply their education to meet their career objectives
- [Students] need to understand what makes them stand out. Highlight teamwork, working to schedules and budgets
- Students should have a better understanding of what they are looking for
- Very impressed with the professional dress and presentation of the students
- Be open to other opportunities; some experience in industry is better than none
- Don’t ask about the company; some homework needs to be done prior to the Expo
Since we will be in the Henderson Welcome Center, please be mindful of those working and meeting in the facility.
Several companies will only be able to attend one of the two Employer Showcase days. Teledyne ODI, United Airlines and the U.S. State Department will only be there on Tuesday, March 4.
Schedule of Events:
Last Minute Showcase Prep: Monday, March 3 at 5:30 pm; COB 114
Employer Recruiting Showcase: Tuesday, March 4 from 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm and Wednesday, March 5 from 9:00 am – 12:00 noon; Henderson Welcome Center
*Professional Dress Required; Bring Eagle Card*
**Delta Air Lines will also have a table on the Flight Deck: Tuesday, March 4 from 12:00 noon to 4:30 pm and Wednesday, March 5 from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm**
Bombardier Information Session: Tuesday, March 4 at 6:30 pm; COB 114
*Business opportunities will be discussed*
Orbital Sciences Information Session: Tuesday, March 4 at 6:30 pm; COAS 125
Networking Skill Builder Session: Wednesday, March 5 at 5:30 pm; COA Atrium
*Event sign-up is currently closed as these 60 spots have already been reserved*
NextGen Information Session and Career Opportunities in Support of NextGen- Special Guest FAA’s Deputy Administrative Assistant for NextGen, Pamela Whitley Presenting: Thursday, March 6 at 4:00 pm; COAS 125
Take Action & Follow-up: How to Write A Thank You: Thursday, March 6 at 5:00 pm; COB 118
Currently Registered Employers for the Showcase:
– AAR Corp.
– AeroTurbine, Inc.
– Airline Transport Professionals
– American Eagle Airlines
– Aurora Flight Sciences
– Bombardier Aerospace
– Compass Airlines
– Delta Air Lines, Inc.**
– Emergency Communications Network
– ERAU International & Graduate Admissions
– ExpressJet Airlines
– Florida Sheriffs Youth Ranches
– Horizon Air
– Jeppesen Sanderson Inc.
– NASA – Kennedy Space Center
– Orbital Sciences Corporation
– Piedmont Airlines
– Republic Airways Holdings
– Rockwell Collins
– Safran USA
– Silver Airways
– SkyWest Airlines
– Spirit Airlines
– Teledyne Oil & Gas
– United Airlines
– U.S. Department of State
– World Fuel Services Corp.
– XCOR Aerospace
– Zodiac Aerospace
Posted by eraucso on March 3, 2014
Embry-Riddle students and alumni are invited to attend the various events occurring during Career Week 360° on the Daytona Beach campus.
Career Week 360° is an all-encompassing career-focused week, encouraging students to take a complete 360° look at their professional futures by exploring career development opportunities.
Posted by eraucso on February 26, 2014
Introducing Career Week 360°!
The Daytona Beach Campus is hosting a week long series of career-related events on March 3-7, 2014. The week will encourage job seekers to take a complete 360° view of their professional future, from planning to practicing. There will be a two-day employer showcase, guest speakers, a networking skill builder session and more.
The agenda will continue to be updated as we get closer to the event.
Posted by eraucso on January 16, 2014